October 25, 2007

Down By The River


Since I quit smoking, I have to make myself take a break from work. When I smoked cigarettes, it was so convenient to just "step out for a smoke" and get little breaks throughout the day (not to mention a little lift from the nicotine infusion). Now, I take 5-15 minute walks around downtown (weather permitting).

Lately, I've decided to take the little Nikon along and maybe document what I see.

Today, I decided to take a walk down by the Cumberland River.



Just across the river is LP Field (formerly Adelphia Stadium), home of the Tennessee Titans (formerly the Houston Oilers). Not caring too much about football, I've never been inside. The funny thing is that I spent my first seven years in Houston, and did go see the Oilers play at the Astrodome at least once. Anyway, "Nashville Stadium" (as I like to call it) might have been a cool venue for a Grateful Dead Concert, but I guess we'll never know.

Looking East...what is that over there?




Alice Aycock's "Ghost Ballet for the East Bank Machineworks" has generated some heated controversy here in Nashville. This was my first view of it up close. I'm not sure I love it, but I don't hate it. I applaud any and all efforts towards public funding of artistic and cultural expression, even if I don't personally love each and every such work of art. In the present case, I am willing to reserve judgment and continue to encourage the further development of the riverfront park concept.

Of course, I still miss Red Grooms's "Tennessee Foxtrot Carousel" which used to be right over there...

OK, back to work.

--rgc

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a really cool post. Thanks for taking me along! I would love to take such a walk with you one day. Great idea to capture the images of your surroundings.

Christopher

Rodger Coleman said...

Thank you for your touching comment, Christopher! I hope we get to take such a walk sometime soon.

--rgc