* Buxtehude: Sonate a due op.1 (Kraemer, Quintana et al.) (Harmonia Mundi CD)
* John Coltrane Quartet: Ballads (Impulse! CD)
* John Coltrane and Johnny Hartman: John Coltrane And Johnny Hartman (Impulse! CD)
* Jose Roberto Bertrami: Blue Wave (Milestone LP)
* Afrique: Soul Makossa (Mainstream LP)
* Masabumi Kikuchi: Susto (Columbia LP)
* David Torn/Mick Karn/Terry Bozzio: Polytown (CMP CD)
* Anouar Brahem/John Surman/Dave Holland: Thimar (ECM CD)
* Stephen Micus: To The Evening Child (ECM CD)
* Myra Melford’s Be Bread: The Whole Tree Gone (Firehouse 12 CD)
* Elephant9 with Reine Fiske: Silver Mountain (Rune Grammofon 2LP/CD)
* Ken Nordine: How Are Things In Your Town? (Blue Thumb 2LP)
* The Pentangle: Sweet Child (Reprise 2LP)
* Roy Harper: Stormcock (Harvest LP)
* Todd Rundgren: A Wizard / A True Star (Bearsville LP)
* Uriah Heep: Look At Yourself (Mercury LP)
* Uriah Heep: Demons And Wizards (Mercury LP)
* Ghetto Brothers: Power-Fuerza (Salsa/Truth & Soul LP)
* Mandrill: Mandrill (Polydor LP)
* Mandrill: Mandrill Is (Polydor LP)
* Mike Greene: Pale, Pale Moon (GRC LP)
* Mike Greene: Midnight Mirage (Mercury LP)
* Echo & The Bunnymen: Ocean Rain (Sire LP)
* Tones On Tail: The Album Pop (Beggars Banquet/PVC LP)
* Yo La Tengo: And Then Nothing Turned Itself Inside-Out (Matador CD)
* Throwing Muses: The Rat, Boston, MA 1986-12-13 (AUD WAV)
* Expo 70: July 18, 2004 (Sonic Meditations LP)
* Chris Forsyth: Paranoid Cat (Family Vineyard LP)
* Beach House: Depression Cherry (Sub Pop LP)
* Myrkur: M (Relapse LP)
As usual right after Labor Day, we are having a real cold snap, with temperatures plunging into the upper-40s at night and the crisp, cool air feels like autumn is already here.
This time of year always makes me nostalgic for my youth: the fresh start of a new school term, the smell of woolen clothing, touch football games in twilight. But the rapidly shortening days -- even more rapid as I get older -- are truly depressing. I am no longer young and there is no new school year to bring even false hope of change and progress. Tomorrow is just another day.
And yet I always feel inspired in the fall, aching to shake off the lazy days of summer and work on stuff. It's time to get off my butt and finish my next album. Maybe even get back to writing seriously on the blog.
Ha! We'll see about that.
I hope all is well in your world.